Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year's Resolutions


Yup it's that time of year again and EVERYBODY is doing it. Normally, if you're like me, you've probably already broken at least one of your resolutions. Come on admit it...I KNOW it's not just ME that's normally guilty....ha ha ha the great thing (or not so great thing I've not decided yet), is that NOTHING has been "normal" about my life for the last 13 months. This year, I've decided to deviate from what I "normally" do this time of year....


Originally I decided this year the only resolution I was going to set was to resolve not to resolve hee hee! I mean if I didn't have any resolutions set, there'd be none to break right? Yeah I know...I'm not one to cop out on much of anything. So since I wasn't gonna cop out, I then began to seriously think about the whole concept of setting New Year's resolutions. And yes, I am fully aware of how dangerous it is for me to start thinking about something....often I can't stop.

Anyway after resolving to think about resolutions, I started to think about was just what exactly the word "resolution" means anyway....well there are lots of definitions (you can look them all up here if you like) but the one I like the most requires us to look at the word R-E-S-O-L-V-E

Sooooooooooooooo, to define resolve (using a little bit of each of my favorite definitions), I've decided that resolve means to successfully deal with a firm decision. It is this definition which I think sets so many of us up for failure with New Year's resolutions...

While we all deal with whatever it is we've been given (yes we ALL deal like it or not), the fact remains that a key component of the definition of resolve is often missing. The word "successfully" is often neglected. Poor successfully...when embraced, it often leaves one feeling full of warmth, accomplishment, pride (not the bad kind we're cautioned to avoid being lifted up in), and confidence among many other things. Instead though, successfully is often ignored. Yes, everyone deals; not everyone deals successfully.

As I contemplated what I'd resolve to do different in 2009, I spent a lot of time thinking about why people even make resolutions in the first place. These thoughts are what sent me to look up the assorted definitions of the word resolution...

***SIDEBAR*** I wonder if people don't make resolutions only so they can laugh at themselves or beat themselves up for breaking them. It seems to me that breaking New Year's resolutions is almost as much of a tradition as keeping them is. I mean haven't you joked with your spouse, friends, neighbors, parents, or whomever about how at least you kept this resolution that much longer....

The more I thought about resolutions, the more I realized that the concept of setting them is brilliant, it's our execution of the concept that is sometimes lacking. This year I will not make resolutions I know I won't keep like trying to regain my girlish figure, going to bed at a decent hour (I mean look at the time stamp uhhh yeah I'm an insomniac), eating better, (chocolate makes EVERYTHING better) cleaning this, organizing that, doing more of this or less of that....this year I have just ONE resolution. I resolve that this will be the year I:

Rediscover

the Extremely

Successful

Opportunities

Lurking

Virtually

Everywhere


2 comments:

Lynn said...

Good luck on your endeavor...we are all truly blessed, if we take a moment to look for it we find it.

Masked Marauder said...

Trudat Lynn...I have found that often all it takes to feel blessed is to shift my focus a degree or two.