Sunday, November 23, 2008

Love they neighbor as thyself

So the most interesting experience occurred today at Stake Conference. An event I don't ordinarily like too much and I'm listening to the speakers and, as is usually the case for me, they're all talking about ME personally. Not literally but yeah they could have been cuz so much of what they said was so very pertinent.

Bill Marriott was our concluding speaker and he talked about how essential it is that we develop a higher opinion of ourselves...wow who knew it was OK to be stuck up and conceited...no no that's not what he meant at all but he did point out that the scriptures say to love our neighbors AS ourselves...he then posed a simple yet profound question...how indeed do we love ourselves?!?!?

I'm sure I'm the ONLY one in the world that does this, but I know I personally seem to maybe love others BETTER than myself. I am absolutely my own worst critic that's for sure. No one else has to be hard on me cuz I'm hard enough on me to make up for at least a dozen people if not more. Ok so I'm exaggerating a little bit, I am only really probably hard enough on myself for HALF a dozen people LOL!

President Marriott says it's ESSENTIAL that we develop a higher opinion of ourselves and then goes on to outline a 5 Step Plan. I thought it was pretty simple, something I think I could actually do and so I'm sharing it with you.

Step 1: Rid yourself of guilt for past sins. We are commanded to forgive...EVEN ourselves.

Step 2: Learn how to handle failure and defeat. Always do our best no matter what. As long as we do this, even though we might not win, we will never be defeated.

Step 3: Focus on others. Get lost in service. Serving others feels good and feeling good is an important part of thinking highly of ourselves.

Step 4: Take charge of our life. We can choose to act versus being acted upon and must MAKE things happen instead of letting things happen.

Step 5: Work hard to develop our spirituality. Give thanks, ask for help, search ponder and pray and of course, read your scriptures.

This really got me thinking...if the scriptures are true (and I know they are) then it is REALLY ok to love myself as I love my neighbors...time to love myself a little more I guess. Thanks President Marriott for outlining a plan to help me do just that.


No comments: