Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I Toaduhlee Love You Son, Love Mommy

Whilst I was taking a TOFW and crying my fake lashes right off, my son went camping with the boys for the father son camp-out. How great to have such a wonderful an amazing home teacher that steps in when we need to borrow a "father" for various occasions...well at least I used to think he was wonderful anyway...

As I'm driving back from getting the girls, Home Teacher calls and says "I'm sorry the adoption papers didn't go through." I laugh and inform him I'm on my way and he can bring Mister Mister home in about twenty minutes. I was really looking forward to it actually, Mister is a self-proclaim/admitted Mommy's boy and Mommy is pretty into him too. This was his first camping experience that I can remember (and NO there weren't any pictures dang it Home Teacher) and I was anxious to see what he thought about it. Of course, I already knew...I mean he IS a boy afterall so can't imagine what there would be for HIM not to like about sleeping with bugs, peeing in the woods, building a campfire, getting dirty and smelling and no one nagging to take a bath and I was right....HE LOVED IT! I personally CAN camp, I just DO NOT enjoy it so hopefully these yearly events will work for both of us.

We get home, Mister Mister arrives about 10 minutes later and he comes bursting through the door...."Hey Mommy, I caught a toad." Now you see why I don't think Home Teacher is so wonderful don't ya...he didn't even WARN me when he called or anything.

"You caught a what...honey that's great (I was in my office emailing Hilary and Kris and checking email and stuff)." "Do you want to see it Mommmy?" WHAT, do I want to see it...you mean you actually KEPT it not just caught it and let it go...oh of all the horrible icky NON girly and Mommy friendly things my son could bring...a TOAD. And then this happened...

Through his tear brimmed eyes he looks at me and pleads "Mommy please please please can I keep it." At that very moment I realized every little boy needs a frog/toad/turtle/snake/lizard/etc like every little girl needs lip gloss and nail polish and so I said "Well son, it's too late to go get supplies tonight cuz we gotta go to the pet store and by the time we get there it'll be closed. Tomorrow is Sunday and you know we don't shop on Sunday so if your frog (he interupts with "it's a toad Mommy") lives till Monday, I'll pick you up after school and we'll get it what it needs and yes you can keep it," secretly hoping the thing would croak. Not the noise it makes by default, but croak CROAK, as in one of the many euphemisms for die. Yes I know it's terrible cuz toads are Heavenly Father's creations too, but I much prefer nail polish and lip gloss what with being a girl and all.

Toader (that's his name) lived till Monday, despite my son's "torment" or "playing" with him all weekend and after school on Monday we were off to PetSmart where we found Bob, icky boy pet expert. Bob is Masked Marauder's new BFF (scoot over Ms Hilary) because he got my son everything he needed to make a happy toad environment for CHEAP. I do cheap so well...it's next in line as my favorite price, right after FREE.

So now I am the proud (at least I am trying to be proud) grandmother of a not so lovely creature named Toader and while I could personally do without the frog or toad or whatever, my son came to me yesterday and said "I love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love love you so much. Thank you for buying me all the stuff for my toad. Thank you so much mommy I think this is the best thing you've ever done for me." He then placed his arms around me and gave me the biggest hug (you're thinking awwwwwww aren't you....it's ok cuz yeah it was an awwww moment for sure) and I knew letting him keep it, much to my dismay, was the right thing to do.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Oh how I love your blog and especailly loved this story! You are such a great mome!

Masked Marauder said...

I'm so glad you like my blog Laura. I really enjoy writing...always have.